November HR Forum - City of Greater Geraldton(26/2012)
Geraldton Human Resources November Forum - Local Government Workplace Solutions
Local Government Workplace Solutions invites Human Resources practitioners and line managers to the November HR Forum at the City of Greater Geraldton (Friday 30th of November).
Topics Covered in the HR Forum will include:
1. Adverse action under the Fair Work Act
This short presentation is designed to give HR practitioners an overview of the adverse action provisions under the Fair Work Act. We will begin by defining ‘adverse action’ and will the look at what Local Governments can do protect themselves from adverse action claims. We will conclude by briefly examining recent developments in adverse action case law.
Presented by Jon Lord, Employee Relations Adviser, Local Government Workplace Solutions.
2. How policy breaches can seriously cost Employers
The presentation will examine the following:
· the impact of the recent Federal Court decision in Barker v Commonwealth Bank of Australia  FCA 2012.
· the duties of an employer to abide by staff policies and consequences if staff policies are not adhered to by the employer.
· a brief history of the development of the ‘implied term of mutual trust and confidence’ as it applies to Australian employment contracts and the implied term’s new ability (in some cases) to make staff policies binding on the employer.
Presented by Scott Roffey, Employee Relations Manager, Local Government Workplace Solutions.
3. Injury Management and Workers Compensation (LGIS)
Local Government Insurance Services (LGIS) will be giving a presentation which encompasses a broad overview of the Workers’ Compensation & Injury Management Act. Topics covered include:
· what personal injury by accident means in the context of the Act
· what entitlements are available to injured workers as well as;
· an overview of the employer’s obligations in terms of rehabilitation and assisting the injured worker to return to the work place and the injury management process.
LGIS will explore a current workers’ compensation case scenario highlighting difficulties with age, fitness for work, what options are available to employers, transferrable skill sets and how this affects RTW Programs.
Presented by Barry Chaplain, Claims Manager LGIS Workcare.
4. The Amalgamation Experience at the City of Greater Geraldton: A HR perspective
Amalgamation presents a variety of challenges for all those involved at every level of Local Government. Join Delwen Granville, HR Manager at the recently amalgamated City of Geraldton as she provides a HR perspective on the challenges faced by Local Government throughout the amalgamation process.
5. OHS issues in working from home
In contemporary times the desire for flexible work practices has presented new challenges to HR practitioners. Mobile technology, increasing workload and the desire for a work/life balance have led to an increase of employees requesting to work from home. This presentation looks at risks involved with employees working from home and best practice to mitigate against them.
Presented by Jon Lord Employee Relations Advisor, Local Government Workplace Solutions.
Details of the HR Forum are listed below.
City of Greater Geraldton:
11am to 3pm
Friday 30th of November 2012
Civic Centre, Cathedral Avenue, GERALDTON
Please email or fax your RSVP to Workplace Solutions at least two weeks prior to the HR Forum with the following details.
· Name of your Local Government/Associate Organisation:
· Contact email address:
· Attendees Names & Titles:
· Requirements (such as access or dietary):
*There is no cost to attend the forums and a light snack will be provided.
**Local Governments who are interested in attending via teleconference or videoconference please contact us, please note there are limited places available.
If you have any questions please contact the team on (08) 9213 2091.